Application Due: Friday, August 16, 2019
Interviews: Thursday, August 29, 2019 (evening)
Composer – General Information
The composer track is designed for graduate students or young professionals who have completed at least a bachelor’s degree in music and are interested in opportunities to connect with the Houston community and learn skills that will help nurture and develop their careers.
Candidates for Da Camera Young Artist Composer:
- are aspiring professional composers who are interested in composing music for the Da Camera Young Artists as well as for young student musicians
- are interested in introducing school children to the creative act of composing
- have completed at least a bachelor’s degree in music
- are able to participate in regular workshops*
* The Young Artist Composer schedule is designed to complement university study or to allow professional musicians the ability to maintain a private studio, teach, and apply for university teaching jobs.
Involvement as a composer of the Young Artist Program will include:
Opportunities to collaborate with fellow Young Artists and local students:
- Compose a chamber work for fellow Young Artists to perform on Da Camera community concerts (recent commissions include works written in conjunction with exhibitions at The Menil Collection, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, and the Galveston Artist Residency)
- Compose a work in collaboration with students from local schools
Participation in Da Camera Music Encounters:
- Classroom visits in collaboration with core-foundation teachers in Houston schools
- Including neurodiverse programming at The HUB Houston and TREK (Transition Ready with Essential Knowledge) programs in Houston ISD schools
Participation in a series of workshops and master classes with leading Houston professionals and Da Camera guest artists
- Career-development workshops, which generally occur on selected Saturday mornings and Monday evenings
- Participation in masterclasses with guest artists
- Per-service honoraria resulting in an average yearly stipend of $1,500 – $3,000
- Complimentary tickets to all Da Camera subscription concerts (subject to availability)
If you have any questions, please contact Brandon Bell, Director of Education and Artistic Administrator.