Application Due: Friday, August 17, 2018
Auditions: Friday and Saturday, August 24-25, 2018
Click here for detailed information about the live audition application process
Performer Track (Instrumental and Vocal) – General Information
Candidates for the Da Camera Young Artist Program are emerging professionals who:
- are interested in performing solo and chamber music repertoire throughout the Houston community
- are interested in working with teachers in public schools to develop lessons that utilize music to enrich the study of core-foundation subjects
- have completed at least a bachelor’s degree in music
- are able to commit to visits in Houston schools, to perform in concerts throughout the Houston community, and to participate in career development workshops*
*The Young Artist schedule is designed to allow professional musicians the flexibility to maintain a private teaching studio and pursue auditions for university teaching jobs and orchestral positions.
The instrumentation of the ensemble is selected based on the applicant pool and anticipated needs of the specific season. Based on the needs of the program and each applicant’s qualifications, instrumentalists and vocalists will be selected as a core member of the program, or added to a roster of artists that may be called upon to perform in Da Camera community concerts and educational activities as opportunities arise.
Young Artist Program Opportunities
Participation in Da Camera Music Encounters:
- Classroom visits in collaboration with core-foundation teachers in Houston schools
- Musically engage with neurodiverse students at The HUB Houston and in TREK (Transition Ready with Essential Knowledge) programs in Houston ISD schools
- Multiple solo and chamber music performance opportunities with fellow Young Artists in Da Camera community concerts:
- A Little Day Music concerts at the Wortham Theater
- Stop, Look, and Listen! concerts at The Menil Collection
- Lunch-time concerts at Houston Methodist Hospital system
- Additional performances at venues such as Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Galveston Artist Residency; and Discovery Green
- Career-development workshops, which generally occur on select Monday evenings and Saturday mornings
- Participation in masterclasses with Da Camera guest artists and leading Houston musicians
- Per-service honoraria resulting in an everage season stipend of $2,000 – $6,000.
- Complimentary tickets to all Da Camera subscription concerts (subject to availability)