Job Title: Development Officer II
Reports To: Director of Administration
Status: Regular, full-time, exempt
The primary objective of this position will be revenue growth through strategic and comprehensive year-round institutional and major donor engagement and stewardship. This position focuses on the acquisition, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major and institutional donors – including all agencies and organizations that support the organization’s funding needs and priorities in the following general areas: chamber and jazz music performance, contemporary music, musician fellowship program (Young Artists Program), music education in schools and for students with special needs (Music Encounters), and free community concerts.
Development Officer II will support Da Camera’s annual fundraising efforts through:
Corporate Giving Program
· Steward current corporate donors/sponsors and ensuring effective activation of sponsorship benefits.
· Develop strategies to broaden fundraising potential in this area including managing the development of a Da Camera Corporate Council which would provide sponsorship donations for
concerts, events, and educational content as well as serving as an effective networking tool for Council representatives.
· Explore opportunities across internal Da Camera departments and assess needs for corporate sponsorships, underwriting, and in-kind support.
· Solicit corporate Gala table sponsorships in collaboration with Development Officer I.
Foundation Giving and Grants Management
· Conduct research to identify grant resources including, but not limited to federal, national, state, foundation, agencies and organizations that support the organization’s funding needs.
· Maintaining Da Camera’s existing portfolio of foundation grants and increasing annual contributions.
· Facilitate all aspects of grant writing and the submission of applications including the preparation of funding abstracts and supplemental materials as well as any and all subsequent
· Develop and maintain a monthly tracking system of all grant deadlines, including applications and final reports. Inform appropriate Da Camera colleagues of pending deadlines with sufficient
· Support all aspects of Da Camera’s current government giving portfolio, including National Endowment for the Arts, Texas Commission on the Arts, and Theater District Improvement HOT
· Research and explore opportunities to expand government giving resources.
· Track quarterly HOT Tax payments and provide reporting on accounting of funds and compliance with MWBE standards.
· Work closely with the Artistic and General Director, Director of Administration, and Board of Directors to sustain current major gift donors; support stewardship strategies of these donors.
· Develop strategies to broaden fundraising potential in this area.
· Attend Da Camera concerts and special events, serving as an advocate for the organization among key stakeholders and ensuring stewardship efforts are highly functioning.
The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of experience in nonprofit development, knowledge of music/arts grant opportunities, funding sources, and associated regulations and reporting. This individual will build positive, long-term relationships with donors and prospects alike and has a demonstrated proficiency in obtaining funds from a variety of sources. As this position will oversee the preparation of all grant applications, excellent writing skills are required. An ability to work as part of a team and independently as well as a commitment to maintaining confidentiality is essential. This position will require the availability to work a flexible schedule, including some nights and weekends. Familiarity with Tessitura preferred.
Da Camera of Houston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual
preference, age, non-job related disability, or marital status. Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, relevant one-page writing sample, and three references by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development Officer II Search.” Position open until filled. Please, no phone calls.
ABOUT DA CAMERA
The mission of Da Camera is to produce and present concert experiences with a commitment to quality and innovation while broadening the audience for chamber music, jazz and contemporary music. Now in its 30th season, Da Camera is a vital organization which has established itself as a national leader in the world of chamber music and jazz. Da Camera is widely acclaimed for its innovative programming, notably Artistic and General Director Sarah Rothenberg’s unique concerts connecting music with literature and the visual arts, as well as for its jazz series, featuring a distinctive mix of renowned performers and emerging artists.
Da Camera takes its name from the Italian phrase musica da camera, which literally means “music of the room” or “chamber music,” and refers to smaller ensemble music with one musician on a part, usually performed without conductor. Each season, Da Camera’s artist roster includes over 60 musicians, representing distinguished performers from around the world and outstanding musicians based in Houston, who perform at the Wortham Theater Center and The Menil Collection in a subscription series of curated programs often unified under a season theme. Da Camera of Houston, along with the Houston Symphony, Houston Ballet and Houston Grand Opera, is one of seven of the city’s major performing arts organizations which form the leadership of Theater District Houston.